Skip to main content

Blog 2

Microsoft Word is a program that you can never escape. I have used Word for countless assignments throughout high school and college, especially in my English classes, where we write essays almost every week. My teachers have used it for creating worksheets or quizzes/tests.

Honestly, I have not had much experience with copyright and fair use; no one had ever explained it to me. Of course, they explained, "If you pull something from the internet, make sure you cite it!" but I never knew why. Now that I know there are specific laws and guidelines concerning copyright and fair use, I will be sure to explain them to my students and implement them in a safe, legal way. Honestly, instead of dealing with the hassle, I would like to make all my own assignments, occasionally showing videos to the class (which is legal).

Three implementation issues addressed in Chapter 9 that mean a lot to me are as follows:

1. Cyberbullying- Cyberbullying is not treated as that big of a deal as face-to-face bullying, but it still is a problem that can be easily prevented. By addressing bullying in my classroom (what it looks like, the punishments of it, personal stories, etc.) and constantly reminding them the dangers of cyberbullying, I will make sure that they know what and what not to do.

2. Cyberstalking- Cyberstalking is also a huge issue on the Internet. It is becoming easier and easier for someone to get a hold of your personal information and use it against you. I will teach my kids how to protect their information and the dangers of sharing your phone number, address, etc., online.

3. Freedom of Speech- While cyberbullying is an issue, I want my students to know that they have the freedom of speech online. They are more than welcome to disagree and debate with other people online, but they need to do it in a constructive way. Calling someone stupid and saying that they don't know what they're talking about will not effectively get your point across.

That being said, I really enjoyed reading the "Ten Commandments of Computer Ethics" in Chapter 9, and I will be sure to implement that into my classroom.

Comments